Point Lonsdale Lighthouse
The lighthouse provides spectacular panoramic views of the region, taking in the surrounding Point Lonsdale area, Queenscliff, Ocean Grove, Barwon Heads and Point Nepean.
This Lighthouse is one of the few which is still manned.
Point Lonsdale Guest House was built in 1884, even before a proper lighthouse structure existed.
The "lighthouse" then consisted of an oil burning lantern hanging from a crossbar. The lighthouse keeper at the time, a Mr Dunk, built Terminus House (as the guest house was previously known) as a residence for his family.
It was Dunk's daughter, Mrs Ward, who first took in guests when she opened the Terminus as a boarding house. The twelve rooms of the Terminus were filled with people constructing the lighthouse at Point Lonsdale, which was established in 1902.
The crossbar with the oil lantern had been erected in 1852 after the barque "Princess Royal" was wrecked on rocks at Point Lonsdale in 1849. In bound from Hong Kong, the ship's master, Captain Sinclair, had been misled by the light at Shortland's Bluff (Queenscliff) and had run aground on Lonsdale Reef.
It was subsequently declared that a light was needed at the Point
Lonsdale outer head. A timber structure was put up in 1863 standing 25m
above sea level with a light which, in clear weather, was visible from
18.5kms at seaIt was in March 1902, that the current lighthouse was
commissioned and stands 120 m above sea level with its light visible from
Tours operate on Sunday's from between 9.30am and 1pm. Bookings are essential - Phone 0419 513 007.